This is one of my favorite desserts ever. Hubby loves dessert. He always gets ice cream, no matter where we are he wants his ice cream. My daughter is exactly the same way. She wants ice cream morning, noon and night. I never eat dessert but when I see bananas fosters on the menu- well I’m all over it. But lately it seems we haven’t been going to the right places because I have not had bananas fosters in soooooo long.
Yesterday while Buggy was eating her lunch I was watching The Chew while I was piddling around in the kitchen and the show started with Mario Batali making bananas fosters. I was so excited. Now this recipe includes rum but if you are making it for breakfast then you can use orange juice.
Prep time: 1-30 min ~ Serves 5
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 2/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 cup Dark Rum or Orange Juice
- 4 Bananas (cut in half lengthwise then halved)
- 1/2 cup cereal (we used Chex)
- 1 1/4 cups Greek yogurt
- Zest of 1 orange
- Melt butter, and then stir in sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon sticks.
- Once it is melted and combined add rum and little pinch of salt.
- Using a long stemmed lighter, flambé the mixture. As the mixture is boiling add the bananas. Cook until bananas are warmed through, about 1 to 2 minutes
- Serve over greek yogurt topped with cereal or if you live in my house – ICE CREAM!!
As Buggy would say, nuuuum nuuuum (yum yum) as she’s rubbing her little belly.
Do you have a favorite dessert?
Photo credt: TheChew.com